Social media marketing requires clear goals and a structured approach when it comes to managing your accounts. It’s not necessary to join every social platform when you’re starting out. You may only want to focus on Instagram and Facebook to begin with, or LinkedIn and Twitter. It really does depend on your customers and what you can realistically manage on a regular basis.
As per email marketing, you will need to set aside a regular block of time to plan and create quality content that will capture your customers’ attention. A good social media plan focuses not only on your images, video and copy but also your ability to respond to comments and messages from your customers within a satisfactory time frame. You’ll need to become an active participant on each platform. And able to monitor and analyse your overall advertising spend and results.
Questions we like to ask up front are:
- What platforms do you want to start with?
- Where is your audience hanging out?
- What would you like to talk about and share?
- How frequently do you want to post?
- What type of media do you want to use? Video? Images? Graphics?
- Who is going to be helping to manage the social media accounts?
- What’s your monthly advertising budget for social media?
We can help steer you in the right direction when it comes to smart tools to help with scheduling, posting and tracking.
Just be warned, social media is fun, addictive, distracting and time consuming. So you do need to learn how to step back every so often and assess how you’re really going.